Major Imtiaz Ahmad Malik ( R ) Tamgha-i-Basalat , a result oriented Chief Executive of Reichert Security Services (Pvt) Ltd with vast experience at operational and strategic levels in Pakistan Army. Managing international organizations and operations with proven success
KIDNAPPING/ ABBUCTION OF CHILDREN
Child abduction or child theft (Wikipedia ) is the unauthorized removal of a minor (a child under the age of legal adulthood) from the custody of the child’s natural parents or legally appointed guardians.
The term child abduction includes two legal and social categories which differ by their perpetrating contexts: abduction by members of the child’s family or abduction by strangers:
- Parental child abduction is the unauthorized custody of a child by a family relative (usually one or both parents) without parental agreement and contrary to family law ruling, which may have removed the child from the care, access and contact of the other parent and family side. Occurring around parental separation or divorce, such parental or familial child abduction may include parental alienation, a form of child abuse seeking to disconnect a child from targeted parent and denigrated side of family. This is, by far, the most common form of child abduction.
- Abduction or kidnapping by strangers (by people unknown to the child and outside the child’s family) is rare. Some of the reasons why a stranger might kidnap an unknown child include:
- illegal adoption, a stranger steals a child with the intent to rear the child as their own or to sell to a prospective adoptive parent
Most people are aware of kidnappings but might not be knowing the reasons and the volume. I will not make the people dreaded and terrified of the kidnapping data but just for the information, few statistics will be mentioned to have the right impression of sensitivity. Open sources reveal the data as under.
- Around 8 million children are reported missing each year worldwide.
- Teenagers particularly girls are kidnapped for trafficking (for sex).
- In 2020, almost 400 000 juveniles got abducted in the US.
- Around 20 000 children become missing annually in Australia.
- In India, around 100 000 children go missing every year.
- Thousands of children get abducted and sold in China.
- A child gets reported missing every two minutes in Europe.
- Figure exceeds 6.0 kidnappings out of 100,000 for Pakistan
- New Zealand is the country with the top child abduction rate. 9.5 kids get kidnapped per 100 000 citizens.
- As the 2020 statistics show, one in six children who ran away from home was a part of child sex trafficking.
There are major two types of kidnappings/ abductions.
- By the Family members / relatives / Known People
- Non-Family members / Strangers
Other Interesting Facts are.
- The age group that gets abducted the most is teenagers, especially girls.
Where abduction rate is more (Places / Locations / Timings)
- the child on their way to or from school, in parks, in the streets, etc
- Generally, abductions are found in afternoon (Around School Timings, Park Timings).
Safety and Security Measures: –
- Never say they are alone if they answer the phone/ mobile.
- Avoid answering the door if you are alone.
- No gifts from strangers.
- Not going faraway for playing. Do not play in isolated areas.
- Know your telephone number and mobile numbers.
- Know that no one has the right to touch any part of their bodies
- Do not go into the vehicles of anyone else other than your own car.
- Newly born babies are mostly kidnapped from hotels or maternity homes etc. Most of the nurses are involved too. Never leave the child un-attended.
- Parents should be aware of new changes the child is adopting.
- Parents should keep friendly environment with the children and listen their problems.
- Always teach them to tell the truth
- Never leave them alone
- Always pick and drop the children to school yourself and or hire any trustworthy driver.
- Children who go work should also go with friends and family
- Educate the children that adults do not need any help from them.
- Make them understand if anyone tries to kidnap them so shout for help.
- Stop the children to take and give lift
- The parents should always have fresh pictures of children
- Keep medical record of children
- Memorize them their home number and close friends
- The parents should make one (ID bracelet) for their children which should have aluminum plate on which following should be written
- Short name of the boy
- Phone number of the home
- Home addresses
- Tell them when you are being kidnapped throw the bracelet which has following benefits
- The place of Kidnapping
- Easement in the investigation of police
- Anyone can pick that bracelet and inform at their homes which can help the parents in a great extent
- The kidnappers try to smuggle the children out of the country if you have already made their passport then it is a little difficult to make another passport which can buy you a time and can help you in investigation.
- Advise the children not to talk with strangers even though anyone too friendly especially when you are away from home so tell them if anyone is coming towards them so run away.
- If you teach the children martial arts again that is very awesome at the time of difficulty, he can use modern martial techniques and can defend himself and he should know some other defending techniques too.
- Tell children not to give any personal information on Facebook, any home address, street number or any other information and always tell them not to meet any Facebook friend.
- Educate the children not to invite any relative as guest or any of his friends because anything wrong may happen.
- Tell the children not to take anything from others to eat.
- Make children believe that what so ever the parents say, teach they are always right and if anyone says against that so they should be alarmed that the person is sign of danger.
- Parents should tell the children that however anyone insists you to sit in his car but they should never.
- The children should never play outside alone but if they want to then it should be in group.
- Use latest technology for the safety if your child.